Extending Bangkok: Death Railway and Bangkrachao

One of the things in my bucket list: solo traveling.

However, I admit that I am too scared to do it - I'm a person who doesn't like to feel lonely.
In addition, I have been lucky to have traveling companions in all of my trips before.

Yet, just recently I had the chance to extend my weekend alone in one of the busiest city in the world - Bangkok. Therefore, I decided to travel around alone for the first time in that big city.
I was not in the mood of during touristic things at Bangkok since I actually did that in the past - instead, I went to a beautiful little town called Kanchanaburi and cycled around Bangkrachao.



Day 1 - Kanchanaburi Day Trip

Kanchanaburi is a city located around 150 km from Bangkok. To get to Kanchanaburi, one can choose the train (50 baht, see schedule here: seat61.com) or the bus (90 - 110 baht from various bus stations). In my case, I took one from the Sai Tai South Bus Station where bus 81 goes from there every 20 minutes from 05.00 till 19.30. What's there to see at Kanchanaburi? You can see the Burma railway, Erawan falls, hellfire pass, tiger temple - two days is the ideal length to really explore this city but I decided to stay for one day, taking a day trip from Bangkok.

The trip itself took around two and a half hours. Kanchanaburi is a quiet city, I decided to take a walk around the city after I arrived at the Kanchanaburi bus station. It is easy to navigate around - you can follow the signs for 'Walking Street' which is a heritage street where you can get to know the buildings around the street that has been there since long time ago. After a 1,5 km walk, I came across the Kanchanaburi War Cemetry and the museum as well.


I took a moment to learn about the Burma Railway - who would ever thought that hundred thousands of lives were lost in the making of a railway? The value of life is priceless yet was treated with no value.

Afterwards, around 2 km from the museum there lies the infamous railway - where people were passing around at the railway and enjoying the river scenery.

Another thing to do from Kanchanaburi is to visit the Erawan falls, this place can be reached by taking a bus from the Kanchanaburi station (50 baht from the bus station, look for green buses with 'Erawan' written clearly on it). The entrance fee to this place is 300 baht, where you can walk through a seven tier waterfall. Bonus: natural fish massage at around the 3rd/4th tier.




Day 2 - Cycling at Bangkrachao

After having a day at Kanchanaburi, I decided to join the monthly coachsurfing cycling event at Bangkrachao. Just across the river, lies a natural and quiet place, a complete opposite of the usual busy capital city Bangkok we know. Together we cycled around the whole day, visiting various places such as the Siamese Fighting fish gallery, Bangkok Tree House and a small local market where we had lunch.
The cycling event was really fun! In just a few minutes, I am able to meet and get to know a dozen of folks. While in reality, a few handful friends is all I have.

From this short trip, I met a lot of people.
People who decided to take a risk and travel with nothing,
Those who can work from anywhere and decided Bangkok is their other home,
Some who would like to do something more or different in life.

A solo trip, I can just go whenever and where ever I wish to - yet still having companions around me.

It was my first experience traveling so carefree, solo traveling doesn't mean you will feel alone. If you would like to travel but have no one to go with, please do not cancel it - just go.




Comments

Popular Posts