That Great Perhaps


"Where is my great perhaps?"

Looking for Alaska. A book that my friend had to order to get it. A book that at first I thought was about the discovery of Alaska (I'm not kidding, I am that kind of people who take things literally although it is out of context). A book that finally got my curiosity.



Every since I was a little kid, I love to read, a habit that emerged since my aunt leaves me in bookstores instead of a nursery when she has to work. I used to read books only about fantasy since I love the way they take me away for a while from reality, they are like a window to an infinite number of worlds. However, I have never read young adult books before like Looking for Alaska. As one of my friends recommended this book by John Green, I decided to try and explore a new genre of books that I usually don't read and I am thankful for my decision. This book made me think more about the ways of life rather than escaping from it. How we thought that we are 'infinite' and can conquer the world, how we fall in love, how we pursue and value the things that matter for us.

"I don't have to wait until I die to start seeking for a great perhaps." This sentence awakened me. It taught me not to stand still and wait, but to move. To look for those missing pieces that you, yourself have never known before. To take the chances in front of you that you have always ignored.

However, I have to admit, it is not easy to look for 'that' great perhaps. There are a lot of times that I felt I will never experience such a great perhaps the way Alaska was for Miles. But come to think about it, if you see it in another way, Alaska was just a girl. It was Miles who perceive her as part of his great perhaps. So, try to perceive things differently when you feel lost. The little things in life that happen just the way they are, might be your unseen great perhaps.

Comments

Popular Posts